Step-by-step guide to SA airport process
- Passengers must use drop-and-go facilities or public transport as only passengers will be allowed into the terminal.
- Limited parkade options will be available. These are signposted at each airport.
- Meeters and greeters will not be allowed in the terminal building.
- Baggage wrapping is now compulsory for all check-in luggage for hygiene reasons.
Airport entrances and access control
- Many access points have been closed at each airport. Please visit the Airports Company website for details on which access points and terminal entrance points should be used.
- Access to terminal buildings will therefore be restricted.
- Physical distancing rules will apply at the terminal entrance.
- Masks are compulsory from entry to the airport through a flight and out of the destination airport.
- Port Health will conduct screening checks at entrances.
- Passengers must produce their business travel permission letters at the entrance.
- It is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure that they have the necessary permission letter before they book a flight.
- Passengers should check in online before going to the airport.
- Online check in can be done at the screens in the terminal building.
- A limited number of check-in counters will be open and physical distancing rules will apply in these queues.
- Using a check-in counter will take longer.
Security checkpoint process
- Passengers will scan their paper-based or mobile device-based boarding pass to the scanner at the security checkpoint.
- Passengers should remove any metal and electronic items from their person before entering the security queue. This includes mobile devices, watches, jewellery, wallets, keys and so on.
- These items must be placed in the tray at the security scanner.
- This process will minimise the need for security officers to conduct physical pat downs at the checkpoint.
Boarding the aircraft
- Physical distancing rules apply for queues to board an aircraft.
- Passengers must scan their boarding pass at the boarding gate.
- Boarding will be done in a controlled manner with passengers travelling in the rear seats of the aircraft boarding first. Passengers with tickets for Row A, for example, will board last.
- Masks must be worn for the duration of the flight.
Disembarking from an aircraft
- Masks must continue to be used when disembarking and moving towards the baggage carousels.
- Physical distancing rules will apply at the baggage carousels.
- Crowding close to the baggage carousels will not be permitted.